With offices in Cambridge, MA, we offer a collaborative research environment with excellent benefits where talented people apply their skills and grow professionally. For students, we give scores of interns every year an opportunity to participate in exciting research in a stimulating environment with the likelihood of a publication as a result.
For a flavor of what MERL is like, browse our people, projects and publications pages. We also invite you to read the welcome letter from our President, Dr. Richard C. Waters, which will give you a sense of the company culture. If you have an interest in working at MERL please submit your resume using the "apply online" button for one of the job openings below.
Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs, Inc. "MERL" provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, MERL complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
MERL expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of MERL's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Qualified applicants for employment at MERL are individuals who have or can obtain full authorization to work in the U.S. and do not require export licenses to receive information about the projects they will be exposed to at MERL. The U.S. government prohibits the release of information without an export license to citizens of several countries, including, without limitation, Cuba, Iran, North Korea and Syria (Country Groups E:1 and E:2 of Part 740, Supplement 1, of the U.S. Export Administration Regulations).
We are looking for an ambitious Junior Accountant to provide support to MERL's accounting department. In this role you will have the opportunity to learn and participate in managing daily accounting tasks. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent college accounting graduate who is willing to invest time and effort to join an experienced accounting team and, willing to invest time and effort, to grow your his or her educational knowledge into the actual business experience of Accounting.
- Process monthly Accounts Payable and employee expense reimbursements
- Perform monthly credit card reconciliations
- Update accounts receivable and issue invoices as needed
- Assist with Fixed Asset Accounting and depreciation schedules
- Process monthly accrual journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Update and maintain financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed
- Assist in processing payroll records as assigned
- Maintain 401K reports
- Assist in processing of 1099 and use tax filings
- Prepare and submit weekly/monthly reports
- Assist with other accounting duties
- Assist Controller in the preparation of month and year end closings to ensure accurate processing of Balance Sheet, Income Statement and other financial requirements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or relevant field
- 1+ plus years of related accounting experience.
- Excellent organizing abilities
- Great attention to detail
- Good with numbers and figures and an analytical acumen
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office
- Familiarity with relevant computer accounting software (e.g. Acumatica or related) is helpful, but, not required
- Familiarity with ADP Vantage a plus
PRINCIPALS ONLY Apply Online. No phone calls please.
Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MERL's Speech & Audio Group is seeking an exceptional researcher in the area of artificial intelligence, with particular focus on and interest in audio, speech, and/or language processing. We are looking for candidates with a strong background and experience in deep learning and other advanced machine learning techniques.
Our research focuses on cutting-edge projects for robust acquisition, recognition, and understanding of speech and audio, such as end-to-end speech recognition, speech and sound separation, deep-learning-based microphone array processing, general sound scene understanding, audio-visually grounded NLP, and other forms of multi-modal processing.
As a member of our group, you will conduct original research aiming to advance the state-of-the-art in the field, proposing new projects with long-term research goals and taking on a leadership role on some of the group's projects.
MERL is one of the most academically-oriented industrial research labs in the world, and the ideal environment to thrive as a leader in the speech and audio field. MERL strongly supports and encourages publishing and presenting research results in top international conferences and peer-reviewed journals, collaborating with university professors and students, and maintaining an influential presence in the academic community, for example by participating in technical committees or organizing workshops and challenges.
- A Ph.D. from an internationally recognized institution in electrical engineering, applied mathematics, computer science or equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge and expertise in modern speech technologies as well as relevant machine learning and optimization techniques.
- Strong publication record demonstrating innovative research achievements.
- Excellent programming skills, particularly in Python and deep learning toolkits.
- Strong teamwork, communication, listening, writing, and presentation skills.