Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories (MERL) is the US subsidiary of the corporate research and development organization of Mitsubishi Electric Corporation. MERL conducts application-motivated basic research and advanced development in: Physical Modeling & Simulation, Signal Processing, Control, Optimization, and Artificial Intelligence. The main body of this report presents our recent research in these areas.
MERL's mission—our assignment from Mitsubishi Electric:
- Generating new technology and intellectual property in areas of importance to Mitsubishi Electric.
- Impacting Mitsubishi Electric's business significantly: using our technical expertise in partnership with organizations in Mitsubishi Electric to produce new and improved products in Mitsubishi Electric's main areas of business.
MERL's vision—our goal for ourselves:
- Being a premiere research laboratory, doing long-term fundamental research that advances the frontiers of technology and makes lasting impacts on the world.
- Being the prime source of technology for Mitsubishi Electric in our areas of expertise.
MERL's values—how we operate:
- Recruiting the highest-quality researchers and developing them into leaders in their fields, encouraging everyone to be a principal investigator and pursue their passions.
- Fostering interdisciplinary teamwork inside MERL with our colleagues at Mitsubishi Electric, and with interns and universities.
- Participating in the world research community, publishing our work while maintaining the confidentiality of business information.
- Combining nimble bottom-up research direction setting with stable long-term support from our large parent organization.
- Enabling researchers to both extend the frontier of science and make real products happen through the large and capable engineering workforce of Mitsubishi Electric.
- Providing excellent benefits and a flexible work environment.
This booklet describes current and past research at MERL:
Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories—30 Years of Innovation